Welcome to the new GLA website
19th February 2016
The GLA is set to launch a new website to enhance user experience, improve accessibility for non-English speakers and people with disabilities while substantially reducing ongoing costs.
The new site will remain on the same address www.gla.gov.uk and will be switched on from 9.30am on Monday.
- Reasons for making the changes include:
- Creating a more intuitive lay-out to help people get quickly to the information they require
- Introducing an up-to-date design using a modern ‘open source’ Content Management System
- Creating a more flexible site with additional features that is easier to update and maintain
- Increasing flexibility to allow the use of audio and video content - to be added starting next month and promote social media channels
- Reducing financial commitment – ongoing-costs will be 40% lower than the old site
The site also includes a tool to enhance access with the following features across the whole site (launched by clicking the flag banner at the top of this page):
- Text-to-speech - which reads the page to the user
- Translation - all web pages can be converted into 78 languages with text-to-speak available in 35 languages
- An on-screen text magnifier to assist users with visual impairments
- An MP3 generator to convert text to audio files for offline listening
- A screen mask highlighting the section of the screen the user wishes to read to aid reading for people with dyslexia
- A simplifier that removes images and distractions to allow easier reading
The GLA would welcome feedback on the new site and anyone with any suggestions or observations is asked to email firstname.lastname@example.org.